This layer allows you to add a bar chart to your current visualization. The height of the bars can correspond to the sum, the average, the minimum or the maximum of a category.
Configure a bar chart in ZENPLOT®
In order to create a bar chart in ZENPLOT®, you need to fill in:
- The dataset you want to use
- The variable corresponding to the coordinates of the abscissa of the bars (X)
- The variable corresponding to the coordinates of the ordinates of the bars (Y)
- The function required to calculate the height of the bars (min, max, sum or average)
The coordinates on the x-axis are necessarily qualitative, the coordinates on the y-axis are necessarily quantitative.
Customize a bar chart in ZENPLOT®
You can easily customize:
- Bar border (thickness, type, color)
- Bar color
- Bar thickness
- Stacking of bars having the same abscissa
In ZENPLOT®, you can choose two ways to customize the characteristic of an element:
By imposing a uniform style on all elements
In this case, all the bars in the layer will have the same style applied for that characteristic (same color, same size, or same shape, etc.)
By binding the characteristic to a variable in the dataset
In this case, all the bars on the layer will have a different style for this characteristic depending on the value they take for the linked variable.
When binding to a qualitative variable, you must choose a style for each category of the variable.
When binding to a quantitative variable, you must define a minimum, median, and maximum value. A gradient is thus produced.
Ideas for visualizations featuring a bar chart
Here are some ideas of visualizations in which you will use the Bar Chart layer:
- Scree plot